Do you know the condition of your pieces of equipment and assets? Are they getting proper maintenance on time or not? Maintenance is crucial for business but the question is which type of maintenance suits your business! In this blog, we will know what is predictive and periodic maintenance and we will compare them as well.
Periodic and predictive maintenance are two important maintenance types. Both have many similarities but they are different from each other. So, let us begin with the periodic maintenance!
What Is Periodic Maintenance?
Periodic maintenance is schedule maintenance type, in clear words, it is time-based maintenance. After a certain defined period of time, periodic maintenance is performed. This specific period is defined by maintenance managers after analyzing the data. It can be daily, weekly, monthly. Periodic maintenance results in extending equipment life, increased reliability, and decreasing downtime.
Periodic maintenance can be used on those assets which are very valuable to daily operation so that production and productivity do not stop. MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) and MTTR (Mean time to repair) play an important role in the periodic maintenance and implementation as well.
What Are the Advantages of Periodic Maintenance?
The advantages of periodic maintenance are discussed below:
1. Increased Productivity
When assets are given maintenance on time it increases reliability and decreases the chance of asset failure. Thus, increased productivity.
2. Decreasing Downtime
Periodic maintenance increases uptime and decreases downtime especially unplanned downtime which can be dangerous for business.
3. Scheduled Maintenance
Assets are maintained regularly then time is minimized in performing maintenance plus maintenance costs are also minimized.
What Is Predictive Maintenance?
Predictive maintenance is very similar to preventive maintenance. In this maintenance, assets are utilized till they are working efficiently.
It is a method that utilizes information data tools and strategies to distinguish and identify irregularities in your daily activities and potential deformities in pieces of equipment so you can fix them before they are failed.
Predictive maintenance permits the upkeep recurrence to be just about as low as conceivable to forestall spontaneous responsive upkeep, without causing costs related to doing an excessive amount of preventive maintenance.
According to the Markets and Markets, “The global predictive maintenance market size is expected to grow from USD 4.0 billion in 2020 to USD 12.3 billion by 2025, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 25.2% during the forecast period.”
What Are the Advantages of Predictive Maintenance?
The advantages of predictive maintenance are discussed below:
1. Real-Time Monitoring
Equipment is monitored in real-time with help of asset tracking technology and they provide real-time information. They help in making a decision based on real-time data.
2. Minimized Maintenance Expenses
When maintenance is done right before the failure it saves a lot of expenses because the maintenance frequency is minimized.
3. Increased Return on Investment (ROI)
When machine uptime increases and downtime decreases & machines work for longer hours than it results in an increased return on investment.
Periodic Maintenance Vs Predictive Maintenance
- Predictive maintenance is less frequent whereas periodic maintenance is done more frequently.
- Periodic maintenance is time-based (scheduled) maintenance activity whereas predictive maintenance activity depends on the condition of the asset.
- The costing in periodic maintenance is very predictable but in predictive maintenance cost cannot be predicted.
- Periodic maintenance is simpler but predictive maintenance is complex.
- To perform periodic maintenance any technician can do but for predictive maintenance high skilled technician is required.
- Periodic maintenance consumes more resources than predictive maintenance.
- Predictive maintenance has no specific time to perform whereas periodic maintenance is done after a specific time interval.
- Periodic maintenance is less risky whereas in predictive maintenance calculated risk is taken.
- Predictive maintenance and Periodic maintenance have their own merits and demerits. Overall, periodic maintenance is good when you don't want to risk. On the other hand, if you can take the risk predictive maintenance can be very fruitful to your business by saving a lot of money.
What Are the Similarities Between Periodic Maintenance and Predictive Maintenance?
Similarities between periodic maintenance and predictive maintenance are as follow:
- Both are used for scheduling maintenance
- They both are proactive by nature
- Both help decrease unplanned downtime
- Saving maintenance expenses
Every maintenance type is good but all you have to figure out which type of maintenance works best for your business as per your daily operations and business requirements.
However, maintenance type alone will not be effective you have to utilize computerized maintenance management software (CMMS).
A CMMS can provide several benefits that can help your business is growing. For instance, you can see maintenance reports, maintenance tracking, maintenance history that help the maintenance team in making informed decisions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How many types of maintenance are there?
There are several types of maintenance such as preventive maintenance, predictive maintenance, emergency maintenance, corrective maintenance, condition-based monitoring, etc.
2. Why maintenance management is important?
Maintenance management is important because it is a critical part of well-functioning production. Maintenance keeps assets in good condition and makes them reliable and avoids asset breakdown.
3. What are the asset tracking technologies?
There are many types of asset tracking technologies are used such as Barcode, QR Code, RFID (Radio-frequency identification). These asset tracking technologies are used for tracking assets they can provide information of each asset. Furthermore, you can also know if an asset is in a running state or in a halt state!