One must understand the role of maintenance. Maintenance is not only done for repairing assets but also assists in prolonging the asset's life.
Nowadays organizations and management starting to understand the power of maintenance. According to Statista, “It is projected that the revenue of repair and maintenance in the U.S. will amount to approximately 191,4 billion U.S. Dollars by 2024.”
In maintenance management, several objectives are settled, such as improving performance, giving regular maintenance, and replacing certain parts of the machine.
So that, machines can perform better and productivity can be increased and availability & reliability as well. We have discussed the objective of maintenance management & functions of maintenance management below in detail!
What Are the Objectives of Maintenance Management?
The objectives of maintenance management are as follow:
1. Making Assets Reliable
Assets maintained are more reliable rather than unmaintained assets everybody knows it. If assets are given maintenance on time their performance improves. Maintenance is very important it ensures that assets are well-maintained and their performance can be boosted with calibration & adjustment.
2. Minimizing Maintenance Cost
Maintenance cost has always been an issue for organizations! When assets are not maintained chances of breakdown are increased. It results in expensive maintenance as lots of activities need to be done including changing the part which is not working. Furthermore, the maintenance team tries to bring the asset into running condition as soon as possible.
3. Decreasing Downtime and Minimizing Failure
Upkeep groups endeavor to amplify gear accessibility, and they are better ready to do so when preventive support occupations are overseen well. Maintenance professionals should have the option to keep steady over preventive upkeep to keep machines running so failures are minimized. So, when machines do require fixes, they should be done rapidly and productively.
4. Enhance Productivity Level
When work is done properly such as maintenance tasks are prioritized and issues are resolved quickly, the machine works for several hours without any issue. In that way the quality of work is more efficient, more productive, and when productive work is delivered return on investment increases. It also means that the bottom line is improved as well.
5. Comply with Rules & Regulations
It does not matter in which industry your business belongs to because rules & regulations are there for all business types. If your business assets are not maintained, it might risk your employees' lives and the environment will be not good.
Furthermore, if found that your assets are not maintained then your organization will end up paying penalties. But if assets are maintained your organization will face no issues of compliance or rules & regulations.
What Are the Functions of Maintenance Management?
The functions of maintenance management are as follow:
- Policies, rules, and regulations must be developed to make maintenance work more efficient and more effective.
- The procedure of maintenance operation shall be done on time so that maintenance work is not delayed.
- Ensure that organization complies as per the rules, regulations, and policies.
- Ensure maintenance is effective and cost-efficient as well.
- One of the main functions of maintenance management is to make sure that facility parts such as elevators, escalators, sewers, electric store, HVAC (Heating ventilation air condition) work fine.
- Document all the maintenance activities that are done on each day including their expenses. Documentation can help in keeping track of maintenance work.
- To deliver effective maintenance work, the maintenance team needs inventories. Therefore, maintenance management needs to ensure that inventory is available for the maintenance team.
- Forecasting demands and planning for maintenance expenditure are also significant.
- Keeping track of assets, equipment, and machines so that they are secured from theft. Theft is a big problem in all organizations, especially small equipment. Therefore, it is the duty of management so that their machines and assets are protected.
- The most important above all is to make sure that equipment is not neglected and provided maintenance on time.
The function of maintenance management is really important & maintenance is an activity that shall not be neglected otherwise consequences will be faced by your organization.
That is why maintenance is essential however maintenance management needs some effective tool that can assist them in maintenance management optimization. A tool such as CMMS Software or maintenance management software is very helpful in maintaining assets as it is built for this purpose.
It automates the process and manual work is eliminated. It schedules the maintenance and tracks each maintenance work order. Furthermore, it alerts the maintenance team by letting them know about upcoming maintenance tasks & work orders.
It can also provide data of maintenance history that helps in getting insight about assets and pieces of equipment.
This software can help an organization decrease maintenance expenses and make an organized way to manage and monitor maintenance work.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How maintenance expenses can be reduced?
Maintenance expenses can be reduced by providing maintenance on time to assets, machines, and pieces of equipment. It is also referred to as scheduled maintenance, in this process machines are inspected in detail and errors are detected and maintenance is done. If no issues are found then regular maintenance is performed in which changing engine oil, filter, oiling, etc. types of activities are done.
2. What is reliability in terms of maintenance?
When you start having minimized maintenance bills, decreased asset failure, increased asset availability, and a safe environment for employees & asset work efficiently for longer hours than usual then you can say asset reliable in terms of maintenance.
3. What are the various types of maintenance that can be used?
Although maintenance can be divided into various categories however mainly it can be divided into categories:
Reactive maintenance - It is also known as unplanned maintenance because assets are not given maintenance on time and it leads to increased maintenance bills and expenses. For example, emergency maintenance.
Proactive maintenance - It is also known as Planned maintenance because assets are scheduled for maintenance before they need it. For example, preventive maintenance. Proactive maintenance is cost-effective compared to any other maintenance type.