A lot of modern enterprises are using barcode scanner software these days, reaping the benefits of the technology. Barcodes were invented back in 1951 and so were their scanners. However, barcodes took time to become successful. It was in the 1960s when they were used for industrial prospects for the first time.
Barcodes have their versatile usage in every industry and context like retail chains, manufacturing units, healthcare industry, and many more.
Barcode technology tracks assets efficiently and retrieves data instantly by just the scanning of the barcode. Several leading organizations such as Amazon are using barcode technology for its preciseness in inventory and asset tracking.
Barcode scanners are optical scanners which read a printed barcode, decode its data and then transfer it to the connected computer system.
All barcode scanners contain a decoder circuitry that analyses the image of the barcode and data provided by the sensor and then transfers it to the main computer system to which the scanner is connected.
Types of Barcode Scanners
Barcode scanners are distinguished on the basis of technology they use to scan the barcode. Following are the main types of barcode scanners used:
1. Pen Type Scanner
It consists of a light source and photodiode to read a barcode. The tip of the pen is moved across the bars of barcode at a uniform speed.
2. Lazer Scanner
It is used in the same manner as a pen-type scanner but uses lazer as a light source for reading the barcode.
3. LED Scanner
It uses an array of hundreds of tiny light sources lined up in a row used to measure emitted ambient light from the barcode to read and decode it.
4. Camera-based Scanner
It works the same way as LED scanners but in a 2D array of light sources to generate an image. So, the barcode that appears in the image is decoded.
5. Omnidirectional Barcode Scanner
It uses a multi-angle arrangement of scanning lines to be projected at the barcode. They are mostly used in supermarkets.
6. Cell Phone Camera
2D barcodes like QR codes and data matrix codes are scanned for the camera of a smartphone.
Working of Barcode Scanners
Barcodes are read over dashes and dots which are converted to numbers. With scanner technology scanning, reading and decoding of barcodes have become easy with a reading of black and white zebra lines rapidly.
The scanned barcodes are fetched to the scanner output or connected computer device or system to easily identify a product's information for the database of the organization.
Following are the steps involved in the scanning, reading, and decoding of a barcode:
- Scanning through a laser light or LED light onto the barcode.
- The light reflects off the barcode to a photoelectric cell (an electronic component to detect light). The black areas reflect small amounts of light and the white lines reflect the major portion of light.
- On moving the scanner across the barcode in uniform speed, the photoelectric cell generates an on-off pulse pattern that communicates with the white and black stripes on the barcode.
- The scanner's electronic circuit converts the pulses into zeroes and ones (binary numbers) which then are sent to the connected computer system.
Barcode Scanner Software
Barcode scanner software captures the barcode data and transfers it to the connected computer system. It is a featured software application with image and data capturing to boost the work efficiency and work along with the existing asset management software.
Capability of Barcode Scanner Software
A. Capture, Read, and Deliver
- Scan barcode
- Deliver data to the database
- Collect associated data
- Auto-update to servers
- Auto-insert scans
- Fully integrated
B. Device Flexibility
- Barcode scanner app works with smartphones, tablets, scan sleds, android mobile computers.
- Access in-built camera, image, and Bluetooth.
C. No-Code Solution
- No coding configuring solutions required directly to select from the menu.
- Develop enhance solutions.
D. Quick Barcode Scanning
- Quick and accurate scanning of barcodes with the device camera.
E. Scans in Real-Time
- Scanned barcode to store in a database online or auto-updated all-round from the Cloud and application.
F. Requires Custom Forms
- Ask multiple-choice, drop-down, voice-to-text, or custom questions with each scan.
G. Auto-Update Feature
- Scans are automatically updated on the barcode scanner with a cloud app facility in every few seconds.
H. Photos, GPS & Signatures
- Take pictures, record GPS location, and capture signatures with the barcode scanner app.
Benefits of Barcode Scanner and Software
1. Improved Efficiency
Barcode scanner software allows operating more accurately and reading the data and information at a quick rate. The scanner technology makes the operation and tracking quick and accurate.
2. Reduced Errors
The clarity in data and information entry through scanner technology boosts the organization business and heritage with reduced errors.
The accurate data transfer to the system allows holding the efficiency of all the ongoing processes in the company. When everything goes smooth and error-free, it saves a lot of money that is caused due to mistakes, problems, or human error.
4. Saves Time
The barcode scanner software saves a lot of time engaged in arrangement and quantity and quality analysis of the assets, inventory, and products. With scanner technology, it is very efficient compared to the same task of about 4 hours of 5 employees together.
5. Increased Productivity
The scanner technology helps to increase and boost productivity by updating inventory levels or asset movement digitally. The software has its significant streamlined benefits to reduce app training time as well.
6. Business Intelligence
The software makes it easier to record and maintain data for every update regarding transactions or operations, digitally and track them.
The barcode scanner software can be implemented for any business, institution, or service provider. The software is known to improve operations and resolve business issues. Moreover, the barcode scanner app can manage security, attendance, access control, asset tracking in institutions and organizations.
All this can be achieved through barcode scanners. They have become mobile and laser-operated nowadays. Barcode scanning is an important part of asset tracking and inventory management. It improves accuracy, reduces human errors, and enhances inventory management discipline.